Thursday, May 29, 2014

My Transition From Childhood to Adulthood

As many know, the beginning of this school year, I went through many difficulties. -Having my first serious boyfriend/best friend break up with me. This threw me into one of the worst periods of my life. Having such a close person leave me and seem to not care anymore just tore me apart. This time changed me greatly and for the months that I was going through this period I became a different and more mature person. Soon after the breakup, after threatening to kill myself over and over my amazing friends went to the school, and I was finally admitted to the hospital to get the help that I needed. Ever since then I have been through many different medications that have put me through so much trying to deal with the different side effects. I have been stabilized, luckily and have become such a stronger person. With my friends by my side, and having one of the best therapists in the world, I have become a stronger person. Everyone goes through difficulties in their life, but there is always that one event that makes someone become so much more mature and a stronger person. Although it seems silly that a break up can do so much to one person, it changed me and because of it I have learned to cope with sadness and stress. Without the skills I have learned through therapy, and being hospitalized, I know that no matter what life throws at me now I will be able to deal with it and it will make me even stronger rather than making me into a ball of sadness. Although not many of my friends understood what was happening with me and why a breakup was making me the person I was, they tried the best they could do to help me. I am so excited to be able to help my friends who have their first serious breakup and I will be there for them because I know how rough it is. I think that that is part of being an adult, being able to help others. That is also why this event has made me into an adult. Its amazing that an event that , many have gone through, can throw someone into such a whirlwind. Not only was the breakup the event that changed me, it was also the fact that I was suicidal. This is one of the worst things that anyone could ever go through. No one knew what I was feeling, so trying to have others help me never really helped because they didn't know what to say. This was one of the hardest parts. Although this helped me become an independent person, which was one of the traits I lacked. I had always counted on other people and when ,my friends were no longer able to deal with me, I had to learn to be able to count on myself. That's one of the things that every adult needs to master, because you are never able to fully count on anyone but yourself. You are the only one that really understands you and is able to help you. That is the greatest thing that I learned, no matter how much people say they are there, they all have themselves to take care of first. This event truly made me an adult, being able to lean on myself, and learning that its being able to teach others that really counts. That is what I'm excited for when I grow up, to be able to help others who are going through a rough time and don't know how to deal with it. That is what being an adult is truly about; Being content with oneself, and being focused on not only on yourself but able to help others when they are in need.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Rachel! Glad to see such a tough event make you a stronger person!

    ReplyDelete