Wednesday, May 28, 2014
The Story That Must Be Told
As a child, every summer i went up to see my Nana in Buffalo, these times were when i really got to spend time with my family and they were some of the best times of my life. Being so young and in such an old house, I made so many different stories in my head about things that most of the time did not happen. My Nana was the strongest women I even knew, having her husband die in his early 30s and having to raise 3 young girls by herself, she was amazing. She was the classic Italian woman, she made her house feel more homey than my actual home. She was so comforting, and made me feel so happy. My Nana was my inspiration for the classic grandmother, she cooked, cleaned, and gardened all the time, she was never not busy. No matter where you were she always made you feel at home. I remember as a kid going up there and at dinner, we all sat around a big table and ate some of the most amazing food i have ever had. People would show up and we would all be so happy. Neighbors would come, all family members, friends and we all enjoy a classic italian meal. I have so many amazing memories from my child hood up in Buffalo. The last time i saw my Nana before she went into the nursing home, she asked me "do you like it up here?" and of course i said i did because i was with my family and it was amazing and she told me "good, i love having you up here," this last conversation i will always hold dearly to my heart. When she was brought to the nursing home, and i did go and see her, i was shocked beyond belief at her condition. She couldn't talk or do anything herself and i had never seen her like that before in my life. Once i saw her, i could stop myself from crying hysterically. Although she didn't remember who i was, she did everything she could do to try and comfort me, she kept telling me "no no its okay," even though in reality i knew it wasn't okay. That was probably one of the hardest days of my life, I never thought i would see the strongest woman ever like that. When she actually died, I wasn't surprised, but of course i was terribly upset. After my mom told me i couldn't go up for her funeral it hit me, i was never going to see her again. I couldn't believe my mother wasn't letting me go to see my only great grandmother's funeral. I had only dealt with one death before in my life, and that although was very upsetting, was not as painful as this one. Death is the worst thing ever, and i would never want someone to have to go through someone so special to them leaving for ever. Although i will never have my Nana in my life again, she provided me with some of the best memories that one kid could ever have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Rachel, this was a very powerful entry! I loved how you really created a image for the reader about how you felt with your grandma. I have also lost a close grandparent and I can relate totally to this entry. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I think many can relate to the loss of a grandparent, and those who are close can really understand the hurt that happens with death
DeleteThis is a great blog Rachel and it is amazing that you were able to have somebody who was so caring and hardworking to be there for you.Do you think that your great grandmother helped you become the person you are today? would you be the same if you didn't have her in your life?
ReplyDeleteI do think she helped me become the person I am today, she taught me to be greatful for the little things, and to keep in touch with the roots that my ancestors have made
DeleteWell done, Rachel. My "Nana" passed away when I was 5, so I don't have many memories of her, and even fewer good ones. It's good to hear that your experiences with her were pleasant ones.
ReplyDeleteThanks Joey! I am so sorry to hear that, it is really some of the best things to have, the memories to being able to spend time with the elders in your life
DeleteI have a Nana to Rachel and she is sort of like yours but my moms Nana was the spitting image of your description, supposedly she made really good food. I wish there was a little more of you, something more then it made you happy it made you sad, go a little deeper honey pie.
ReplyDeleteIts funny that almost all grandparents have the same characteristics, they all are loving and teach their grandkids what is truly special in life
DeleteRachel, I can really hear your voice in this entry, and you did a great job expressing your feelings. I'm sorry for your loss but I'm glad you were able to spend time with your Nana and that you have many amazing memories of her to cherish. What are some of the things your grandmother has taught you? What had you learned from her?
ReplyDeleteI learned that its not just about keeping yourself busy, but bringing others into your chores and making it fun. She taught me how to garden and be a good mother in the future
DeleteGreat job Rachel! This entry was really powerful and I could never imagine going through something like this. It's sad that people pass away, but it sounds like you have great memories with your great grandma that you will never forget. I am sure she is grateful that she was able to provide a place and food for you that you will remember forever.
ReplyDelete